Getting to know Mrs. Gates

Hello! I am so excited to begin another year here at Georgetown as MRS. GATES (formerly known as Miss Suttorp. 🙂 )

A little bit about me…I grew up in the Walker area and attended Grandville Public Schools. After graduating I attended Grand Valley State University  where I earned both my Bachelors and Masters Degree in elementary and special education. After that, I co-taught 5th grade in the Forest Hills district and then came to Georgetown the next school year. I love being a part of the Georgetown family and look forward to coming to work each day!

In my free time I enjoy all things music – listening, singing, dancing and playing. There will be many times this year where we will take a quick dance break to get our wiggles out, listen to music while working, or sing along to a song that I play on the guitar. I’m also an avid marathon runner. There are many life lessons that running has taught me that I will naturally weave into the classroom. Therefore, don’t be surprised if you happen to hear your child talking about “grit”, “race day” or “going farther together”.  🙂

My promise to you as your child’s teacher is to love your child unconditionally to the best of my ability while they are with me. I promise to always do what is best for your child by making them my top priority. I promise to push your child to their highest potential while pausing to celebrate their successes and to recognize their attempts. I promise to be flexible, patient and offer grace when necessary and in return, will help your child learn how to do the same for others. I promise to create a classroom in which your child will feel valued, heard, safe and secure. Most importantly, I promise to do what I can to make LEARNING FUN!

I have no doubt that the 2019-2020 school year will be an incredible one! I am looking forward to discovering all that this year has in store for us!

-Mrs. Gates